While netizens debate on the functions of the CHR, a veteran journalist was kind enough to explain it to us the human rights watchdog’s job descriptions.
Respected journalist Ira Panganiban lifted the full text in the Philippine Constitution related to the functions and powers of the CHR.
Read the full text of the post below.
Andaming sinasabi na function ng CHR. Ang tindi na ng diskusyon. Yung iba kung maka-insulto wagas.
Sabi ni Chito Gascon hindi nila sakop ang mga ordinaryong krimen dahil tanging ang otoridad tulad ng pulis, sundalo at pamahalaan lang ang sakop nila. Gumawa pa sila ng infographic tungkol dito.
So ano ba ang sabi ng Article XIII Section 18 ng Philippine Constitution na siyang nagtatakda ng trabaho ng CHR?
Eto ang buong bahagi ng constitution na sakop ang usaping ito (medyo mahaba ha…)
Section 18. The Commission on Human Rights shall have the following powers and functions:
(1) Investigate, on its own or on complaint by any party, all forms of human rights violations involving civil and political rights;
(2) Adopt its operational guidelines and rules of procedure, and cite for contempt for violations thereof in accordance with the Rules of Court;
(3) Provide appropriate legal measures for the protection of human rights of all persons within the Philippines, as well as Filipinos residing abroad, and provide for preventive measures and legal aid services to the underprivileged whose human rights have been violated or need protection;
(4) Exercise visitorial powers over jails, prisons, or detention facilities;
(5) Establish a continuing program of research, education, and information to enhance respect for the primacy of human rights;
(6) Recommend to Congress effective measures to promote human rights and to provide for compensation to victims of violations of human rights, or their families;
(7) Monitor the Philippine Government’s compliance with international treaty obligations on human rights;
(8) Grant immunity from prosecution to any person whose testimony or whose possession of documents or other evidence is necessary or convenient to determine the truth in any investigation conducted by it or under its authority;
(9) Request the assistance of any department, bureau, office, or agency in the performance of its functions;
(10) Appoint its officers and employees in accordance with law; and
(11) Perform such other duties and functions as may be provided by law.
Ngayon tignan ninyo ang Paragraph 3 at makikita ninyo na ang sinasabi ay “all Filipinos!!!” (exclamation mine).
At kahit saan sa artikulong ito ay hindi mo makikita minsan na sinabing ang tanging trabaho ng CHR ay magbantay ng sundalo at pulis lamang.
Ang sinasabi dito ay lahat ng tao sa Pilipinas – human rights of all person in the Philippines – ang sakop ng pagbabantay ng CHR.
Ang tanging bahagi na nagsasabing bantayan ang pamahalaan ay sa paragraph 7 kung saan sinasaad ay ang pag-monitor sa pamahalaan na ipatupad ang mga tratado na pinirmahan natin ukol sa Human Rights.
So paki-paliwanag sa akin, gamit ang batas na nakasaad dito, saan sinasabi dito na ang trabaho lang ng CHR natin ay bantayan ang pulis at wala silang pakialam sa iba pang paglabag sa ating karapatang pantao????
As of this writing, the 780 shares, 1,757 reactions and 140 comments on Facebook.
Source: Pinoy Trending News
Look: Veteran journalist lectures social media on Commission on Human Rights’ powers and functions