There might be a ceasefire of hostilities in the Senate, particularly between Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago.
Due to medical reasons.
Right after blasting Enrile and in an interview on the ABS CBN ANC program “Head Start”, Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago was taken to a hospital after suffering hypertension. The energetic and boisterous senator apparently burst a blood vessel in her right eye and required immediate medical treatment.
The feud between Miriam and Enrile has been going for days now. It all started with the P1.6 million MOOE/xmas bonus given by Enrile to his fellow senators, excluding Miriam, Alan and Pia Cayetano, and finally Trillanes. The four received only P250,000.
In response to the “discrimination” by Enrile, Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago went on a rampage. She criticized the Senate President, digging up all kinds of worms on the latter, some which date back to the Martial Law era. Miriam also exposed to the public the many perks enjoyed by the Senate, stating that “It’s more fun in the Philippines as a Senator”.
The video below features some of Miriam’s statements during her interview with Karen Davila on ANC’s Head Start.
When Miriam reports back to the Senate, will she resume her word war with the Senate President? As a member of the Senate, is a word war with Enrile and also with her fellow senators in the best interests of the country?
Miriam has a valid point. That so-called MOOE released by Enrile, protected by the Senate’s fiscal autonomy, is the money of the people. Instead of distributing it as very fat bonuses to Senate employees and eventually end up in the pockets of the 20 senators, it should have been distributed instead to other parts of country, where there people are in dire need of financial aid.
It is our senators who are usually spearheading national Exposés. We had former senator Manong Maceda who was known as Mr Exposé. There was also the late senator Rene Cayetano who also spearheaded the Jueteng inquiry that lead to the downfall of Erap Estrada. Now we have Senator Miriam Santiago whom I would say, has lately been in the frontline when it came to criticizing fellow politicians, exposing their dark and luxurious secrets.
I just hope that when this is over, it will be worth all the ruckus and noise we had. We will have a more transparent, sensitive and responsible Senate. If not, Miriam bursting her blood vessel would have been for nothing. Except perhaps a fat medical bill, which was probably paid again from people’s money.
Hang tough Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago, we all hope for your immediate recovery.
Leave a Reply
Please read related posts below:
- Miriam Defensor-Santiago and the frugal Senate A story goes about a person who tried to rob a senator in a public toilet. “Freeze! Give me all your money!” “Son, don’t you...
- Trillanes’ challenge of Enrile a career move on his part? Weeks ago, there was a stirring in the Senate. There was uneasiness and restlessness especially in the majority. Rumors swirled on a plot to remove...
- CJ Renato Corona Guilty Under 2nd Article of Impeachment Another historical event had happened in the Philippines, verdict has been served to Supreme Court’s Chief Justice Renato Corona, Guilty! Since 1986, there was only two...
- Impeachment defense witness Tiangco not helping Corona “It’s making me sleepy! Do you have evidence for the SALN of the Chief Justice?” That is how Senator Jinggoy Estrada described the statements made...
- Raymart Santiago & Claudine Barretto, rumored break up Raymart Santiago and Claudine Barretto are being rumored to be break up after the bank incident happens last October 25. In the report of GMA News,...